Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Lazy Sunday Interlude


I usually don't like to read reviews. I would rather read, listen to, or watch something for myself if I want to know an opinion; friends are also reliable sources. When your homework assignment is to read a review, you just have to suck it up. I didn't care for the review by Jan Baettens although it was more appealing to the eye with its colored background. Call me what you will, but I can only read so much criticism on a Sunday. As I learned being a rugby fan, "Sunday is the Lord's day,"; He also can't play rugby because he wears illegal headgear.

I digress.

My favorite portion of David Blakesly's article is: "Remediation (pronounced REmediation) is the process whereby computer graphics, virtual reality, and the WWW define themselves by borrowing from and refashioning media such as painting, photography, television, and film. Remediation works both ways also; as digital media gain in popularity, for instance, television remediates the windowed world of computing."

On a non-academic level, myspace seems to be more like facebook and facebook is more like myspace. I think that someday they will merge into a MyBook of FaceSpace. Maybe not FaceSpace, that sounds like something that you are reminded of when people from other cultures get all up in your space.

More digressing. This time I slipped out of my academic voice. Mind the discourse!

I think it's good that television is mirroring the world of the internet and websites. Not everything is always user-friendly, so when things look familiar, people are more likely to be drawn to it. When I am explaining how to navigate a website to my sister (as I was this morning), I will often say "It looks like the place where you log in for your email." Through this common ground, we can function together as a team. If something were entirely foreign and alien, people like my sister would be in even bigger trouble. The sense of familiarity makes things less intimidating and they make my job as the family techo-ambassador a lot easier.

I feel like I should post a picture so I can practice what we learned in class on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment