Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Oppression Never Tasted So Good!"

That was a quote from Jackie Rhodes as she was eating one of Elise's Girl Scout cookies. For the record, Gin is against the Girl Scouts.



Thanks to Gin, half of our class (and Elizabeth) went to the Tunnel of Oppression in the student union. It was a very depressing and painful exhibit to be in, but I recommend that everyone go through it. Each room had a different type of oppression: Religious oppression, image of perfection, classism, sexism, racism, ignorance/prejudice, and heterosexism. The roughest part for me was the heterosexist room. I guess that's why they saved that one for the last room. Kudos to the CSUSB students who acted out scenes in each room. The fact that we were all silent made everything so much more emotional. After we spent today's class talking about being desensitized through remediation and video games, the tunnel shed light on a different type of desensitization: dehumanization and creating Otherness. Anyhoo, we decided to take pictures on our little class adventure and I will post the ones that I took on here. They are already up on my facebook if you would like to check them out there. As soon as Gin sends me the picture from the end of the night, I will post that one too!


Our ticket to enter the room, Gin's lovely nails.


Entering the tunnel.


The pledge that we recited after our tunnel experience. Afterward, we got free beverages and...


This super cool shirt!

To see the picture of us after the Tunnel of Oppression, go to Gin's Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment