Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ownershipless

Now that I look at that title, it is pretty ambiguous; I'm referring to the conversation that we had in class on Wednesday. I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I want to put together a picture book that shows grammatical faux pas, blunders, and other acts of language misuse. It may sound like a relatively uncomplicated matter, but [even I had to] think again. I know that there are sites (such as engrish.com, failblog, and unnecessaryquotes.com) that I could go to and I would find an abundance of photos I could use. I am no thief, however, so that's not realy an option--not to mention I'm pretty sure it would be illegal!

I would like to create a blog where I can upload the photos that I find and other people can post photos that they have found. I have a vision of this glorious blog that is run by me and is composed of contributions by many. If the photos make it into my (currently hypothetical) book, I would put the person's name underneath the photo they submitted because I wouldn't want to take all the credit for something they provided me with. The problem is that if I made my own page on blogspot or some other blog, I'm sure that they already have some sort of legalities that you agree to that says they own the content of your page. Ok, so becoming a member and posting my photos on those sites wouldn't work for me.

Time for Plan B.

I was just about to create a photo album on facebook, when I remembered that there was some talk about facebook owning your pictures even if you have deleted them off of your account. Although I only have 2 pictures so far, I feel like there is nothing I can do with them. If I can't even post them anywhere, how can I get people to submit the photos that they find to me? Would have to get my own website that isn't part of a pre-existing site? I want to make sure that I own my photos and not some faceless corporation. Everything needs to be done through legally-proper channels. It's a little defeating, honestly. Technology and I get along fantastically until technicalities and legalities [inevitably] show up uninvited.

No comments:

Post a Comment