Saturday, November 19, 2011

Slacker!

Yes, I am a slacker. I thought that installing the Blogger app on my phone would help me to blog on the go.

Wrong.

Ultimately, I have failed myself in the same way that my students failed themselves when they didn't read.

I remember in June when the prospect of this TA-ship filled my brain and heart. Back then, my fall quarter consisted of me teaching my 107 class and taking one grad class (617) so that I wasn't so stressed out. Also, my light load would allow time for me to write and get my thesis proposal passed.

The reality of my fall quarter, however, looks much different. Instead of taking one class, I'm taking two classes: I am on campus all five days of the school week. I have admitted defeat with my thesis/proposal and will be taking the test instead. The silver lining is that my 107 class, thank the gods, is even more wonderful than I had anticipated. Despite my awesome experience as a teacher, I still feel like a failure as a student. I've fallen way behind on maintaining this blog, I entirely forget to post to blackboard for my classes, and I now have to take ANOTHER class next quarter because I'm taking the test.

To be frank, this blog post is not me complaining or me looking for some sympathy. Rather, this blog is my way of owning up to my failures of the fall quarter in hopes that I will be able to stop slacking and shape up! I've always taken so much pride in being an "ambitious student" as Rhodes once called me. Right now I'm more lack a slackmaster student!

--A hopeful TA/grad student

2 comments:

  1. Your students love you, and are putting a great amount of thought into their work. They have also begun to see themselves as valid persons with perspectives that they feel they can share. You = a successful teacher. Sorry, I know you wanted to do the thesis option, but the exam will be challenging as well, and it's not as if you're giving up on publishing the thesis. You WILL write that paper once this is all over (note modal choice of logical probability!). ;)

    ReplyDelete